In Texas, the sales value of fresh market and processed vegetables is estimated at $500 million. Crops included cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, chili peppers, cucumbers, honeydew melons, spring and summer onions, spinach, squash, sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon, snap beans, leafy greens, dry beans, southern peas, pumpkin, and potatoes. National and statewide trends indicate an increased interest in the local production of ‘tasty’ vegetable crops in response to environmental and health concerns, population growth, as well as the potential for higher economic returns. Thus, the future economic growth and increased health awareness are likely to cause an upsurge in global demand for vegetables. This will cause major changes in the use of water, land, and environmental resources.
Enhance stand establishment, increase crop adaptation to drought and heat stress (tolerance or resistance), maximize water productivity, improve product quality and nutrition for consumers, and ultimately enhance the economic returns for farmers and industry in the ‘farm to the table’ chain.
- Vegetable cropping system management in relation to environmental stresses. HATCH 8098.
- Environmental and genetic determinants of seed quality and performance. W-3168.
- Nitrogen management for improving olive stand establishment. TDA-SCBG-USDA.
- Conserving water in rural and urban vegetable farming – hydroponics. TDA-SCBG-USDA.
- 1-MCP to modulate growth of tomato and pepper transplants. AgroFresh.
- Novihum: Impact on growth, water use efficiency, quality and yield of bell pepper. GmbH.
- Hormonal regulation and transplant systems in onion genotypes. AgriLife Cropping System.
- Stand establishment and GA application strategies for a
International Projects – 2015
- Enhancing horticultural crop production and commercialization of small-scale South African farmers. Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Tshwane University of Technology (TUT), South Africa.
- Detección de QTLs ligados a la producción de biomasa y aceite en Cynara cardunculus L. Agencia Nacional de Promoción Científica y Tecnológica, Argentina.